Friday 9 July 2010

I just might be Marlon Brando!

Marlon Brando as Jor-El in Superman (1978).Image via Wikipedia
What I find really daunting about my little Super Heroes, is the break neck speed in which they seem to learn and develop every single day (more often than not, as quick as a couple of hours within the same day!).

This brought on the realisation that I can't learn this quick anymore!! To the point that anything new (and that I can't do immediately), actually grinds me to a standstill, a meltdown even.
 'I can't do it!!!'
So I'll quickly reassure myself that I don't need to do it and its lack of presence in my life
never hindered me before!

But the real irony is this must be something I've taught myself to do!

Have I, like Lex Luther, just surrounded myself with idiots to make myself feel far superior than I really am? Have I lost my Super Hero prowess of conquering all before me, absorbing everything put in front of me and just turned into the simple 'Oh, that's just me, I've always been rubbish at,....' (take your pick!!)  kind of Guy?

I now feel I'm being  forced to face it, like finding Kryptonite in my rucksack, all of those Super human learning skills that had once been gifted to me, have long since upped and left me and I've been rendered powerless in developing anymore.

Never again will I, a mere mortal parent, ever have the ability to learn so much and AS MUCH as my little SuperSponges. Soaking up every tiny morsel of knowledge, growing faster than a speeding bullet right before my very eyes, leaving me in a constant,.. 'how did they?,...how do they?...' state of  flux. I've become that meek and useless observer from every comic book ever published.

Am I now just a minor extra in my kids Super Blockbusting adventures through life?

What a kicker!!

But wait one second, god dammit!

Didn't Superman fly off to the North Pole to that big arsed ice cave and get tutored by Jor-El?

Weren't all his Super human powers explained and nurtured to him by his father, without whom, the world would have been a darker place?

I must be Marlon Brando!

( I can live with that! )

       xxxxxxx


Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Kids do have an infinite ability to absorb new things. If you can help then that can only be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids do have an immense ability to soak things up. But if you can help with that then I think you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just the speed that frightens me.What happened to those little babies we once had?!!

    ReplyDelete